Wednesday, January 19, 2005

I carry a concern

I carry a concern, a very deep concern for the Iraqi civilian casualties of this war in Iraq. Today I went to visit my US Senators to talk to them of my concern. I took with me a printout of Raed Jarrar's Iraqi Civilian Casualties Report. It is a 63 page printout of the names of the people who were killed by US forces in the first couple of months of the war (before it really got bad). I had printed this up so the youngest ones were first on the list. The first page of names is all babies under one year of age. It lists their names, ages, towns, cause of death and date of death. I also had with me a postcard announcing the upcoming "EYES WIDE OPEN" exhibit at the National City Christian Church later this week. I had also printed up a story on the "Salvadorian Option" and how this idea is evil. I carried a quote from Senator Lindsay Graham (SC-R) that he spoke to Mr. Gonzales.

I got very lucky. I got on the elevator in the Dirkson Building to go see Senator Burr, and he got on the elevator with me. I gave him the top sheet of the packet of information (I left the entire packet with his office staff) and I had a good 3-4 minutes to tell him of my concerns about the Iraqi civilians and what they are suffering. I expressed how I think this war is wrong, and the use of torture makes us the moral equivalent of the terrorists. I told him how I would rather die from a terrorist attack than see my country engage in immoral actions (which they are doing). I told him how I feel I am being immoral when I pay my taxes. I feel I am contributing to evil. Senator Burr disagreed with me over what Senator Graham actually said to Mr. Gonzales, and one of his staff told me her brother is in the military in Baghdad, and he feels it is hard, but it is worth it. I was nearly in tears over all this concern I was expressing, but when I left the office, Senator Burr still had the sheet of paper (with the names of the Iraqi babies who had been killed) in his hand.

I think it was a success, at least to let him know that I am aware of what the Iraqi people are going through, and that I care about that a great deal.

Next I went to Senator Dole's office, and I talked to a receptionist there. She was very nice, but there were lots of people around, and Senator Dole was nowhere to be seen. I left my papers with the receptionist. I also visited Senator Graham's office to say thanks for confronting Mr. Gonzales. Someday, I will have to blog on what that Senator said.

I guess it would be redundant to say that I see my country on a very immoral course of action.... detaining people without charges, abuse, torture, murder, rape, optional war.... and not one of the higher ups ever gets punished.

I also went today to the Seawell-Belmont House, which is where the National Women's Party was founded and organized. I learn a lot about women working to get the vote (it took them forever! many of them died before they could legally vote.) and about the work done on the Equal Rights Amendment, which has still not be included in our constitution. I rather felt that maybe I should have worked harder on those issues back in the 70's and 80's.

But today, we have even more serious issues. Our country and our leaders seem to be hell-bent on starting a world war, based mostly in the middle east. Not only is war wrong and evil, we will also lose this war (we have already lost in Iraq).

So, should I pay my taxes and commit an immoral act, or should I not pay my taxes and get into big legal trouble and lose my job? I guess I will one day resolve this dilemma by moving to Canada.


No comments: